Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Valetine's Decor

I've still got some tweaking to do, but William pulled down my decorations from storage the other day which gave our house a more festive face. Nothing much, just little things here and there. Most of them were from my teaching days so it was fun pulling them out and remembering. I bought most of my decorations my second year...when I could finally breathe past curriculum and into the fluffy fun stuff. Annnnnnd then I was laid off. Heh. Still, our home has been a great new place for them.
Our mantle:
I have a slight obsession with my mom's cricut machine right now. I used it for this banner and another one for a baby shower recently and am in love! It's so easy and has endless possibilities for using it. I hung them on some jute string with some clothes pins.
 Then I pulled out this old Pespi tray that I found while antiquing {that's a verb now, right?!} almost a year ago. It was sitting in our garage. I still have other plans for it, but I brought it in a few days ago, determined to use it now.
Then I just started to fill it with random stuff we had around the house. Boxes from the packaging of earrings I just bought, a ceramic bowl with twine, a bird house that was already on the mantle before {$1 section of Micheal's}, a bird, and a vase {$1 section from Target} from my vday stash.

To the left...
I had some straws left over from E's party and put them in a mason jar style glass, wrapped a vase with some red rick-rack type ribbon, and put some red flowers in. I spray painted the two frames on the mantle and on this side, put this free print in it.

On the right...
An "S", empty jar awaiting to be filled with...? and
one of my favorite maternity pictures. Ezra's bright eyes match our headboard. And our shared pose that was completely unscripted just kills me!

Our chalkboard area got some red highlights.
I got these red Chinese lanterns in China town in the city. Does that make them authentic? Either way, I love them. In fact, they may stay post-love month. My little nook with my heart bunting is still lacking. I ordered some prints in 5x7 {???} instead of my normal 8x10. Frame Fail. I just reorder them in the correct size. Sheesh.

And lastly, our little nook by the stairs.
Another lantern, paper hearts hung by floss, and a pitcher full of flowers.
{Hi!} So I basically just used what we already owned. I'd love to score some new items on clearance afterward or try to do another craft {maybe a wreath?}, but if not, no sweat. I still have a few more lanterns that I'd love to find homes for. Maybe somewhere upstairs?

Hope you are enjoying your LOVE month!

1 comment:

Stef said...

so cute! LOVE it all, Jess :)