Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Seeing Stripes!

My newest victim got a nice new coat of white and stripes over the weekend.

I was feeling a bit daring so I wanted to try out something new. Being a newbie at all this DIY stuff, I've got a lot to catch up on. I seriously thought about being double-dog daring and going full-steam ahead with some Chevron zig-zags, but then I thought better of it. Can't get too far ahead of my very amateur skills.

First, I covered my whole piece with white primer. We did do some sanding beforehand, but it's really not necessary when spray painting. After the coats of primer dried, I started in with the stripes. I covered the entire border surrounding my top to make sure no gray got else where. And since the piece was pretty small, I wanted stripes a bit over an inch wide. I pulled out a level and used it as a measuring tool. Then I laid down my tape at each interval, making sure to check both the left and right ends for correct width spacing.
{I left the end-tabs up to make for easy removal after I painted.}

Once the whole top was taped up, I let loose with "classic gray" and covered the entire top with it.
I waited a few seconds then started to peal off my tape. There were a few bleed marks that I had to touch up, even though I made sure to press down on my tape...eh, I'll just chalk it up to me being a newbie. And they were the only thing I can focus on--see what I mean...
To cover the gray run-over, a small paint brush and some white craft paint did the job. I'm sure there must be a more professional method, but I wanted them gone asap and those were the supplies that I had on hand. Worked for me!

I repeated the same steps striping steps on the little drawer but on a much smaller scale and with no bleed-through issues. AND I loving me some stripes! Can't wait to put this in E's room! Such a fun transformation, and one that I did all on my own this time..well, with some helpful teaching and input by W.

To see link-ups, go to bottom of page!

9 comments:

Edie said...

I think you should try something new on that stool before you bring it over. Some wild color. Yellow? Turquoise?

I'm Busy Procrastinating said...

Found your project over at House of Grace. I love furniture re-dos, midcentury modern furniture, and stripes, so I had to come check out your piece. Very cute!

Jenn said...

Looks great! I hear you on being nervous about chevron stripes, I feel the same way! Found you at Tatortots and Jello!

Meredith said...

I love the new neutral gray trend for furniture...so fun! The piece looks great!

jandjhome said...

What a great piece. I love mid century lines. I just went through your blog and love your DIY enthusiasm. I'm going to love following you and see what else you do. Have a great week.

heresthediehl said...

Love this project!! Paint can make such a huge difference.

Here's a tip on painting stripes that are flawless (I learned this trick after many, many frustrating projects):

http://heresthediehl.wordpress.com/2010/10/23/tutorial-painting-wall-stripes-or-an-accent-wall/

Happy painting!

Michelle@ A Full Cottage said...

That looks great, I love spray paint. Thanks for sharing.

:) Michelle

Suzanne said...

Beautiful job! Found you from TDC. 28 weeks and counting? Congrats! I love baby pics btw... :)

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Wow! You've got so much creativity and I'm admiring them all. Can you please share your creative posts at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there at the party :)